Friday, April 11, 2014

The Loveseat

I remember thinking what a steal the loveseat was when we first got it. I saw it on Craigslist when I was about to leave work, contacted the seller on the way to the subway, talked her down to $30 and we picked it up that night.  Although with time, my love for it tapered, as I thought it was a bit too ornate. But it was the perfect size for the room and the husband actually told me he still really liked it a lot.

So he volunteered to strip the fabric down, after that it needed a bit reinforcing in the structure; one of the wood supports on one arm was broken and also some of the joints were  coming apart (nothing a bit of wood glue wouldn’t fix).  I sanded it lightly and gave it a good wipe down and vacuumed after that.


To make it modern, I decided on oil-based paint from Rustoleum in glossy grey.  I only had a small sample can on hand, it was barely enough to cover the loveseat in one coat; a second coat would give it a complete coverage. But I decided on not getting more paint because I liked the imperfect finish, letting some of the old cream paint showing through, highlighting the details a bit and giving the chair character.
The cushions were spring-based; it was bouncy but very hard and heavy. I didn’t want to tackle sewing the cushions since they were a unique shape, which with my sewing skills would take me a while to do! I even considered bringing it to the local dry cleaner that also do clothe adjustments to see if they were willing to sew them for me.   BTW, if I had gone the detachable cushion way, I would have just made it into one long cushion and not two.  Anyway, so we decided on 4-inch foam for the seat and 2-inch foam for the back.  We kept the existing foam on the arms but replaced all the batting.

For the fabric, I got this velvet-like grey fabric with a bit of sheen from the local fabric store for $5/yard.   I think we used about 5 yards.  I also didn’t want to take out the machine to sew the cording, so I just got some beige cording from the store also.  We got 10 yards at about $1.30/yard.  We should have gotten 11 yards, as we were a bit short; so a small portion of the back still is without cording…hopefully I will remember the next time I am there…probably not.
We think it turned out great, it’s not perfect but it’s super comfy and good enough for some rookies!


  1. Stunning! I'm so impressed that you did that yourself! Upholstery is so intimidating to me.

  2. What a great, fun piece! I love it...and you did a beautiful job on it. I love how you've put it in such a fun modern room.
    love and blessings~
    Lynda @ Gates of Crystal

  3. You did a really beautiful job! I'm so intimidated when it comes to upholstery.

  4. HI HI i love your blog , you have a new follower from Chile

  5. Wow…that looks amazing. Happy to find and follow your blog!


I would love to hear your inputs!